Business License or Registration
The City of Lafayette does not require a Business License or Business Registration. Businesses are free to operate without a Business License or Registration from the City. For a printable letter stating this policy, please click here.
To establish a new business or relocate an existing one requires compliance with local zoning regulations. Here's everything you need to know about this process!
- Planning Overview - good summary about the planning review process.
- Downtown Zoning Map - shows the downtown zoning districts to determine which zoning applies to your property.
- Zoning Districts -provides information about uses permitted and those that require a Land Use Permit.
- Home Occupation - provides the requirements for operating a business out of your residence.
- Activity Classifications - definitions of how the City defines your use.
- Zoning Table - shows where your activity classification is permitted and not permitted.
- Parking Ordinance - provides the required parking ratio for each activity classification.
- Sign Ordinance - provides the regulations for new signage and when it requires a Sign Permit.
Still have questions?! Contact Planner@lovelafayette.org or (925) 284-1976. We're here to help!