On July 23, 2007, the City Council joined International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives ("ICLEI") as a full member and participant in the Cities for Climate Action Campaign. As a participant, the City pledged to take a leadership role in promoting public awareness about the causes and impacts of climate change.
The City of Lafayette will undertake the Cities for Climate Protection Campaign's five milestones to reduce both greenhouse gas and air pollution emissions throughout the community, specifically:
- Conduct a greenhouse gas emissions inventory and forecast to determine the source and quantity of greenhouse gas missions in the jurisdiction;
- Establish a greenhouse gas emissions in the jurisdiction;
- Develop an action plan with both existing and future action which when implemented will meet the local greenhouse gas reduction target;
- Implement the action plan; and
- Monitor and report progress.
Refer to Resolution No 2007-034 for more information.