Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

If you believe that the City of Lafayette or its employee(s) has caused damage to you, your personal property or real property, you have the right to file a claim against the City for damages.  Claim forms are available at City Offices through the City Clerk's office during normal business hours or online.

Claims take approximately 45 days to process.  Please follow the instructions on the claim form and attach any documentation (e.g. photos, reports, witness statements or estimates) that you feel may support your claim.  You may mail or personally deliver a claim form to:

Lafayette City Offices
City Clerk
3675 Mt. Diablo Blvd., Suite 210
Lafayette, CA  94549

Please complete the form in its entirety or risk having it returned to you as insufficient.  If you need additional information regarding the filing of a claim, please contact the City Clerk at (925) 284-1968.  Please note that the City does not provide legal advice.

Filing Deadlines

Under State law, claims relating to causes of action for personal injury, wrongful death, property damage, and crop damage must be presented to the City of Lafayette no later than six months after the incident date. Please note that evidence of “presentation” includes a clear postmark date on an envelope, or a certification of personal service, or service by mail.

When filing a claim beyond the six-month period, you must explain the reason the claim was not filed within the six-month period. This explanation is called “application for leave to present a late claim”.  In considering your claim, the City will first decide whether the late claim application should be granted or denied. (See Government Code Section 911.4 for the legally acceptable reasons a claim may be filed late.) Only if your late claim application is granted will the City then consider the merits of your claim.

Claims relating to any cause of action other than personal injury, wrongful death, property damage, and crop damage must be presented no later than one year after the incident date. (See Government Code Section 911.2).